Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Tuition fees and accessibility.

I am so sick of these upper middle class wanna-be do-gooders who think that lowering tuition fees is some sort of panacea for getting "marginalized" kids into school. The problem is much deeper than äffordability, and we should first address the social stigma of going to school. Yes, a stigma associated with anything that smells of intellectual pursuit. Lets start with the fact that by actually doing your homework, or answering your teacher in class, you will get bullied, teased, and ultimately, get your proverbial s$%# kicked in for being the odd man out. Having grownup on the "wrong side of the tracks" and in social housing, I know. Maybe it was my hatred for that place, that lifestyle and the desire to escape that urged me to go to school, or maybe it was my mom not having it any other way. Who knows.

I would love to cite some academic to back me up to this, but instead, I must refer to Chris Rock (a brilliant observer in his own right), who stated that in the ghetto, you get more respect for going to jail than you do going to university, and followed it with a hypothetical conversation (or from what I remember).

Person A. - "Yo, I just got my masters degree"

Person B. - "So what, you think you my master now, huh"?

No comments:

Post a Comment